I don’t know about anyone else, but the time I take for my skincare routine is sacred. The bottles, the sprays, and don’t forget the music. I make it my own personal party. Hello, Gua Sha stones and hydration.
Especially in the evening. I want to make sure my skin is completely clean, nourished, and ready for rejuvenation while I sleep. To ensure that my skin is completely clean I practice the art of double-cleansing.
And it has made a world of difference.
The formal name for this little trick is what skincare gurus call “the double cleanse.” Coming from the 10-step Korean skincare routine, the double cleanse simply means using two different cleansers — one with oil, followed by another with water — to try to get your face as clean as possible, without over-drying the skin. The method rains that the oil-based cleanser will remove excess oil and the water-based cleanser will get rid of any pore-clogging dirt that remains.
Oil cleansers like our Sunflower + Chamomile Cleansing Oil, gently remove excess sebum to help balance the skin, preventing excess oil production. You'll notice that your face is less shiny after using an oil-based cleanser over time.
With summer, sunscreen, and sweat right around the corner - there is no better time to practice the art of double cleansing. Once you do it a few times it simply becomes part of your routine- and one that you don’t want to skip.
Have you ever cleaned your face and then went in with the cotton round only to see that it is not completely clean? I have. It feels somewhat disappointing.
I never want to put more cleanser on my face because usually, that would dry it out.
But I started using the right combination of cleansers and the whole game has changed.
How do I double Cleanse?
1) You want to take your favorite oil cleanser like our Neroli + Lavender Cleansing Balm and really work it into the skin to remove access oil and surface-level gunk.
2) I would recommend massaging the oil base for about 30 to 60 seconds. Give yourself a little facial- remember this is you time. Massaging the skin and taking it slow will also aid in lymphatic drainage.
3) Take a warm washcloth or towel and lay it over your face to open up your pores. Think of this part as steaming the skin. Gently wipe away the cleanser.
4) Then, you want to take your go-to water-based cleanser like our Jojoba + Turmeric Facial Polish, and really work it into the skin to get rid of excess dirt that causes blackheads and acne. Make sure you work down towards the neck and all the way up into the hairline to really get the skin clean.
Now that you have a clean slate, your serums and oils will penetrate the skin even deeper.
5) Treat the skin. Make sure it’s something skin-loving. We recommend our Aloe and Willow Bark Serum or one of our Custom Oil Blends.
All done! Use this time to have a dance party or keep hiding in the bathroom for a while. Whatever you need.
Questions about double-cleansing?
You know the drill. Drop them below!