Setting time aside each day to practice skincare may not seem like a priority to some but it’s actually the perfect time to focus on you and your wellbeing, both physically and mentally. We look at skincare not just as products to improve your outer appearance, but also a way to feel confident and reconnected with yourself inside. Skincare tools have great benefits for your skin and offer the opportunity to slow down and recharge at the end of the day.
Our favorite skincare tools
As we move into a new year, we are excited to share some of our top skincare tools for both the face and body.
If you’ve been anywhere on the skincare side of social media this past year, you’ve most likely seen or heard of Gua Sha. While Gua Sha has boomed in popularity over the past year or so, they are actually not a new tool to the market. In fact, Gua Sha has been around for thousands of years as part of a traditional Chinese medicine and skincare treatment. A Gua Sha is a flat tool that is typically made out of stone. While it may not look like much at first, Gua Sha actually has a ton of amazing benefits!
- Lymphatic drainage: If you suffer from frequent puffy or swollen skin, the Gua Sha stone will be your new best friend. Swollen skin is often a sign of an excess of lymph in our faces. Lymph is a fluid that carries white blood cells and can collect in certain areas of the body. Massaging your face with a Gua Sha stone can help move that excess lymph away from your face to reveal tighter and healthier looking skin!
- Relaxation: Not only does a Gua Sha improve the look of your skin, but they are also incredibly relaxing to use. Deep facial massages feel good and help us get into the practice of daily self-care.
- Tension relief: Whether we realize it or not, most of us hold a lot of tension in our face and neck–especially in the jaw area. Applying deep pressure with your Gua Sha in these areas can actually help relieve a lot of that tension which will allow your muscles to rest and move properly. Once you get into the habit of using your Gua Sha regularly, you will notice a huge difference in the way your face and neck feel. If you suffer from migraines or TMJ, we highly recommend adding a Gua Sha into your daily routine.
- Product absorption: It’s recommended to use a Gua Sha in conjunction with a facial oil or serum. The pressing motion of the tool will help push the product deeper into your skin making it more effective.
- Improved circulation: Massaging your face with a Gua Sha greatly improves the blood circulation under the surface of your skin. This means a brighter, healthier complexion and lessened dark circles underneath your eyes. Bringing new blood to the surface of the skin also fades the appearance of acne scarring and redness.
The Lark Skin Co. Gua Sha is the perfect addition to any skincare routine (plus, it’s super cute!) We love to use it with our facial oil to help reduce puffiness, lift the skin, and help ease the oil into the skin. Make sure to use light pressure with your Gua Sha and always move in upwards strokes to the outside of your face!
A Konjac sponge is made from the natural Konjac root which is a porous vegetable that grows in areas of Asia. The main use of a Konjac sponge is to cleanse and exfoliate gently.
- Gentle exfoliation: Konjac sponges are amazing at exfoliating the skin without being too harsh. They’re made to physically exfoliate by removing dead skin cells and other impurities.
- Ideal for sensitive skin: If you’ve been having trouble finding an exfoliator for your sensitive skin, then you’re in luck! Konjac sponges are a natural alternative to other physical exfoliators which can often be too harsh for sensitive skin. With a Konjac sponge, you’ll be able to buff away impurities without any redness or irritation. You can even use your Konjac sponge everyday!
The Lark Skin Co. Konjac Facial Sponges are combined with green tea to gently fortify the skin while also removing dirt, debris, dead skin cells, and makeup from the face. The best part? It’s completely reusable! Simply soak your Konjac Facial Sponge and add your favorite cleaner. Then, gently buff your face in circular motions.
A dry body brush is absolutely essential, especially during the cold winter months. A dry brush is a stiff-bristled, handheld brush that is used on the skin daily. Like the Gua Sha, a dry brush offers more benefits than meets the eye!
- Exfoliation: The main benefit of dry brushing is the removal of dead skin cells. This will make your skin glow, clear clogged pores, and allow for better product absorption. Dry brushing is a lifesaver in the wintertime when dehydrated skin is common for most people.
- Stimulate circulation: Brushing the skin promotes fresh blood to move to the surface of the skin. This encourages new, healthy skin cells to grow leaving behind bright and glowy skin!
- Reduce cellulite: Using a dry brush regularly can also help to soften the hard fat deposits just under the skin. This will help lessen the appearance of cellulite over time.
- Relieve stress: Dry brushing is extremely relaxing and feels like you’re giving yourself a massage everyday. If that doesn’t sound like a dream, we don’t know what does!
- Lymphatic drainage: Like the Gua Sha, a dry brush can help remove excess lymph underneath the surface of your skin thus releasing toxins. This can help reduce inflammation and swollen skin.
Our Dry Brush is all-natural and is made from ultra-soft boar bristle. We recommend using the Dry Brush prior to showering or bathing by working in small circles at the feet and moving your way up. Finish by washing away the dead skin cells and impurities and then follow it up with lotion or body oil!
No matter your choice of skincare tools or routines, the most important thing is to make sure to take that time for yourself to rejuvenate from the outside in!